Skip to main content

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?

 Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update.

Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting.



Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless.

2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world.

And my nails have never been longer so it makes it hard to type.

Additionally, I was named Director of the Orbital website project. The phase it's currently in is "delayed, but someday".

I also work with X1 Advocates, a group in promotion of X1 run by One It, for One It.

The JBJ subreddit continues to be dead, I continue to be sad about, and I continue to not change.

I have been writing, however. You can see a lot  of my thoughts on the LOONA lore and Loonaverse in my fan fiction series "Colorverse". I've finished part one, but I'm behind on part 2 because Hyunjin in the series is just expository and it's a pain to write.

I also have a LOONA/X1 crossover series called "The Forest Calls", which is also behind.

With all that said, let's begin.



Let's start with "Butterfly" by itself.



Truthfully, there's not much here lore wise. It is my belief that "Butterfly" is the current final point of the timeline, but far away in time from "FavOriTe". This is the group at it's strongest, and shows their influence on the world. After all, we are all LOONA, so for their effect on the girls of the world to be so great means that they must have been together for a long time.

My alternate theory is that this was the intended role of LOONA, until one or more of them has become corrupted. I'm not talking about the girls of yyxy rejecting Eden and God, because I think LOONA's story as a whole is about rejecting the intended plan. When I say "corrupted", I mean one of the girls has turned from her morals. I think this is most likely Haseul, but that could be a post of its own.

A post I'm not going to promise because I'm awful at keeping promises, apparently.

So, essentially, what I'm saying is that "Butterfly" is a glimpse of the world we could have had, until a member (Haseul, but that's open for interpretation) has been corrupted against her morals. Instead, we have a world where girls are not being influenced to stand up and fly by the members of LOONA. We need more material to see where either theory pans out, however.



The real fun lore part about this era is not in "Butterfly", but in the teasers.

I'm just going to go through the teasers in point form because it's easier and also my writing is real hard to read in this notes.

XIX



First thing to note is that this is the only teaser which is an actual roman numeral: 19. So far, this  number has no bearing on the Loonaverse that I know of.

Now lets look at how the members look to the camera:

  • Heejin: Looks straight to the camera, one eye out of focus
  • Hyunjin:  Looks dead on
  • Haseul: Doesn't look at camera, profile only, looks down
  • Yeojin: Short time frame, hand covering one eye, flash of orange
  • Vivi: Profile shot, hand covering odd eye
  • Kim Lip: Only see one eye, only member with a complete body shot, but she's hunched over with wings
  • Jinsoul: Dead on, but out of focus
  • Choerry: Only top half of face visible, flash of purple
  • Yves: Doesn't look dead on, but you can see her eyes as she makes a complete turn 
  • Chuu: There seems to be snow exploding as she turns to look at the camera
  • Gowon: Looks dead on 
  • Olivia: Turns to look at camera but doesn't actually look at it, but the screen is flickering 
Important things of note here
  • Yves is the only member that does a complete turn 
  • Haseul, Vivi, and Olivia never actually look at the camera, which could show that they are the members most in conflict with the rest of the members, or with the truth 
  • Kim Lip is completely hunched over, like she's in pain. She also grows a complete set of wings, which I interpret to mean that she has full knowledge (more on that later)
  • Jinsoul being out of focus could be a callback to "Sweet Crazy Love"
  • The only members who never turn even slightly are Hyunjin and Gowon, who are mirrors on the mobius strip. 
XIIX


  • Clearly a call back to "Let Me In" 
  • Gowon dies and is born again (butterflies in many cultures represent rebirth) 
  • Gowon releases butterflies after her resurrection, and it looks like there's one for every member
  •  Takes place during "Let Me In" as Haseul is the one who runs over and kills Gowon in her magical yellow car 
  • Gowon finding the feather is a clue both to her killer and for us to determine that this the morning after "Let Me In 
  • Night turns to day after Gowon's rebirth, representing hope and change
  • Gowon leaves behind her old self, shedding her skin like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon. 
    • This is neither a dimension shift or a rewind in time, from my point of view. 
  • Makes me ask the question: What does Haseul want? And I think the answer to that is that she wants to change the world and stop the bland future from happening, which I allude to in my first theory post. 

XIIIX


  • Takes place in Paris 
  • Olivia breaks from her changes as she emerges from darkness into the light
    • This shows that it's after "Egoist", which ends in the dark 
  • The girls around the city are girls who can be potentially influenced by LOONA 
  • She is the blood moon wolf 
    • Blood moon represents evil intent. But is it Olivia who has the evil intent, or who/what she's escaping from 
  • Spiral staircase shows the final part of her ascent out of Hell 
  • Olivia walking by one of the girls could be how she can give strength
    • IDK I can barely read my note on this 
  • Scratch on her neck looks to have come from a bird
    • In LOONA lore, this has to mean either Haseul or Kim Lip
    • But it's likely Haseul 
    • Brings up the idea that Haseul could be trying to kill yyxy 
XIVX


  • Filmed in Hong Kong, which shows Yves' connection to Vivi
  • Shows Yves' carefree nature 
  • Shows that Chuu will always follow Yves
  • They come together to create a butterfly shape
  • There's quite little here lore wise sorry guys 

"Butterfly" Teaser


  • Girl lost in forest is a reference to Yeojin 
    • The apples in the forest show Yeojin's mobius connection to Yves 
  • All the members are looking up
    • They could be looking up in reference to their future, or as up as being the only destination to go
  • All black outfits could mean that this is post-bland future (a.k.a the end of the timeline) or they're already dead

XX Album Teaser



I'll be looking at the girls individually again, with each of their two pictures being in different bullet points

  • Heejin
    • Not looking at camera; holds a butterfly; no wings
    • Black outfit
  • Hyunjin
    • Not looking at camera
    • White outfit
  • Haseul
    • Looking at camera; holds a butterfly 
    • Black outfit
  • Yeojin
    • Not looking at camera; visible wings
    • White outfit
  • Vivi
    • Not looking at camera; visible wings 
    • Black outfit
  • Kim Lip
    • Looking at camera; visible wings 
    • White outfit 
  • Jinsoul 
    • Not looking at camera; holds a butterfly 
    • White outfit 
  • Choerry
    • Not looking at camera
    • Black outfit 
  • Yves
    • Looking at camera; visible wings 
    • White outfit
  • Chuu
    • Not looking at camera; only has a partial set of wings 
    • Black outfit
  • Gowon 
    • Looking at camera; visible wings 
  • Olivia Hye
    • Not looking at camera; outline of wings
    • White wings
Things to note here

  • Yeojin, Vivi, Kim Lip, Yves, and Gowon are the only ones with a full set of wings, which I interpret as them having full knowledge of their world. 
    • I actually forgot about this and Yeojin having full knowledge is an unintended plot point of Colorverse (spoiler alert)
    • Chuu only has a partial set of wings, which I interpret as her innocence in-universe only letting her see as much of the truth as she wats to see
    • Olivia having an outline of a set of wings shows that she is now learning the truth, likely due to her becoming an outcast in "love4eva"
  • Heejin/Olivia and Hyunjin/Gowon are the only pairs without matching clothes colours in the second set of photos
  • The two dimension travellers, Hyunjin and Choerry, are the only two who aren't looking at the camera and also have no wings
  • Heejin, Haseul, and Jinsoul all have a butterfly but also have no wings
    • Could show their potential to completely upheave the world 
  • Leaders and Gowon are the only ones not looking to camera

#


  • This is essentially proof that the future where LOONA have influence over the world hasn't happened 
    • The outside girls are either disappearing, seem to have died, or are being burned 
    • The butterfly is also being burned
  • Gowon is letting go of her past to walk towards the future
  • Yves seems likes she is about to jump off a building 
    • Reminiscent of Heejin in "Hi High" 
    • Also can be compared to Yves being one of the main reasons Olivia falls to Hell in "Egoist" 
  • Chuu is in complete black and white, and seems to be searching for someone
    • It's possible that between "Hi High" and "Butterfly, Chuu loses track of Yves
  • Olivia is on a bridge in the middle of the night, looking back on the girl she passes 

#1


  • Still in Iceland 
  • You see a member running 
    • I personally think this is Gowon, but others think it's Vivi 
  • Olivia looks menacing 
    • I personally don't think this is directed at the member running which is why I don't think that the member running is Vivi 
    • Also I just want the Olivia killing Vivi thing to die please
  • You see the bottom half of Haseul's head, which gives the impression that she's watching over everything
  • The video ends with Heejin up in the air
    • She takes a step up towards Eden

Okay so I'm going to bring up some things that I personally want to see explored. I've explored some of these ideas in "Colorverse" (spoiler alert, again, sorry)

  • Haseul the villain 
    • Specifically, I want to see what exactly her motivations are
  • Yeojin being dead 
  • All the girls having an odd eye 
    • The fact that eyes seem to be a central point of a lot of these teasers really seems to seal the deal for me 
  • Heejin in Eden 
  • The effects of Gowon's rebirth 

Okay that's all for today. 

I may make a Haseul villain post but don't count on it any time soon. Also don't count on a post about all the girls having an odd eye, which I also want to make. 

I have the notes somewhere for a post discussing the lore-related meanings of all the girls symbolic animals, but I haven't seen that notebook since the move. 

You can, however, expect my top 50 kpop songs of 2019 to go up on time. 

Thanks for reading, and sorry once more about the long wait!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn