Skip to main content

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Olivia Hye Edition)

So, I know it’s been a little while since Olivia’s music video came out, but I’m finally ready to reveal my theory for you. I’ve actually had everything thought out since the video came out, but I’ve just been very busy since then. As in, I’ve had all the group projects due. I hate university why have I done this for 6 years. 

If you haven't seen Olivia's video, watch it now: 


Anyways, let’s jump into the theory.



First of all, the first girl-twelfth girl dynamic that she has with Heejin is going to be very important. Heejin appears in this video, and her presence closes the circle. However, there is so much more going on. Olivia is a wolf, a predator. Heejin is a rabbit. Wolves. Eat. Rabbits. This leads me to believe that Olivia is going to be playing a more antagonistic role in the group.

Let’s talk about the wolf for a bit. Obviously, there is a lot of symbolism when it comes to what animals each girl is represented by. Olivia’s wolf is no exception. The following is what a wolf means symbolically:
  •    Sharp intelligence
  • Appetite for freedom
  • Expression of strong instincts
  • Feeling threatened, lack of trust in oneself or others

It’s the last point that really speaks to me; she doesn’t trust others. We see a lot of imagery when it comes to her not trusting Yves (I’ll get to that), and the lyrics state that she now loves herself, meaning that she didn’t trust herself before. The other three meanings I can also see in the video: she’s very aware (intelligence and instincts), she’s constantly looking for a way out. It all fits.

Speaking of Heejin, she has quite the presence in this video. We see early on in the video that someone is watching Olivia from above. This is Heejin. We can tell that it’s Heejin based on the shirt and the way her bangs are. As well, Heejin is also the person Olivia is hugging. The image is supposed to be that she’s loving and accepting herself, but in actuality it’s her embracing Heejin, her counterpart on the Mobius strip.

This connection between girls 1 and 12 ties up one of the first questions I had while starting this theory: who does Heejin see at the end of ‘ViViD’? Initially, I thought it could be Yves, Vivi, or Girl 12 (Olivia). After this video, I am certain that it is Olivia. The connection that they share between the Mobius strip and at the end of the video is enough for a bond to be formed. It is possible that, despite the predatory nature of her animal, Heejin is the only person whom Olivia loves.

Moving past Heejin, let’s get into the plot of the music video. What we see here id actually quite different from all the other girls, who have either chosen against Eden or have been brought there against their will. Olivia is incredibly distinct in that she has been pushed from Eden and sent to Hell. We can assume that, unlike Yves and Go Won, Olivia did not want to leave her paradise. We can also assume that the person who pushed Olivia was Go Won, based on the timing and the bit of blonde hair. Of course, Go Won would not have been blonde at this point, but that’s just filming semantics. At the time this video takes place, Go Won would have been the only girl in Eden. We also know that Olivia had to have fallen from Eden, as we see a wolf plushie being dropped by the claw machine; she is not wanted, she has been burned by what she loved most.

Based on the setting of the video, and as well as other details, Olivia’s fall is linked to Yves’ betrayal of Eden. I’ve interpreted many of the lyrics of the song to mean that Olivia actually holds hatred for Yves for what she’s done to her; that it’s Yves’ fault that she fell. We can tell that because of the image of her burning the cygnet and Unit 3’s yellow uniform. Her pain is incredibly palpable, so it must occur soon after ‘new’.

However, it is not necessarily Yves’ fault that she was pushed from Eden. The timing may be suspicious, but I believe that this is not the only reason. Instead, I believe it’s Olivia’s own fault that she fell, in a sense. Olivia actually has an odd eye, and that has made her ineligible for Eden. The most obvious piece of imagery for this is the claw machine, which she uses to try to gouge out her left eye. This is the most common side of the odd eye, as Kim Lip, Jinsoul, and Vivi all have their odd eye on this side. Additionally, the images of her as a wolf with the red eyes also indicates that she has something going on with her eyes. Many shots of Olivia in the music video also have her left eye illuminated by light.

It is clear that having an odd eye is a sure way to be denied by Eden. As Olivia clearly starts off in Hell, we can only connect her to the one other person to be in Hell. The only other girl who has ever been to Hell is Vivi, who is taken there after the events of Love&Live. It is possible that those with odd eyes are automatically denied by God and Eden, as they are able to do things beyond what God has allowed them to do i.e, Kim Lip seeing beyond the Mobius strip and bringing others into her world.

Due to her having an Odd Eye, I was convinced at first that the world Olivia ascends from hell into was OEC, which made the presence of Heejin incredibly concerning. This was due, firstly, to the large amount of red and blue light present in this video. Which would represent the presence of Kim Lip and Jinsoul. Secondly, Jinsoul is actually in this video, which could indicate that she’s actually interacting with Olivia. Thirdly, you can actually see, during Jinsoul’s rap, that Olivia eats a cherry, meaning that she could have a connection with Choerry.

The thing that really, at first, made me think Olivia had entered OEC was the parking lot. It’s so eerily similar to the one that Choerry dances in during ‘Sweet Crazy Love’ that I know that it could not be a coincidence. However, after thinking again, I remembered that Choerry is in the real world during ‘Sweet Crazy Love’. Therefore, Olivia Hye arises into the real world, where she meets Heejin.

This makes Olivia Hye the one bothering Jinsoul during the events of ‘Sweet Crazy Love’. The whole rap sequence with Jinsoul is one of two dreams that Olivia has after she falls from Eden. The other one, of course, is her hugging Heejin. During this rap sequence, we see Jinsoul pull the headphone out from Olivia’s ear. This is an action that Olivia will do to Jinsoul in ‘Sweet Crazy Love’. Oivia is not, however, the annoying force seen in ‘Girl Front’. That is likely Yves, especially after some of the information shown at the Up&Line event. I am not sure how canon we can consider that to be. It is completely possible that she can go into other worlds, since she can be seen eating a cherry (though, this was in the dream sequence; it can also be considered a foreshadowing to ‘Love Cherry Motion’ and the role Choerry plays).

Vivi is also someone that I really need to talk about. Strangely, no one but me seems to think that it’s important that Vivi is a nickname for Olivia. To me this is incredibly significant. As Vivi is a nickname, it implies that Olivia has some power over her. I believe that Olivia is the one that makes Vivi an android after she moves from OEC to the Real World. As the only two odd eye holders in the real world at that point, it is possible that they were attracted to one another. More possible is that Olivia hunted Vivi down. Olivia is a wolf, and they naturally prey on deer, which is what Vivi is represented by. As to motive, I believe that Olivia’s inherent blaming of Yves was a factor. Vivi was a love interest, in a sense, to Yves, and I believe Olivia finds this out somehow. Her revenge on Yves is her literally taking the heart of someone Yves loves, and making it artificial. The way she could have accomplished this is through the power of her odd eye; we have little information as to what they actually do, so it’s possible that Olivia, as Loona’s antagonist, uses her for nefarious deeds.

Another connection between Olivia and Vivi is DNA. Before Olivia debuted, BBC posted an image of a blue and pink strand of DNA. This same strand can be seen on Vivi’s backpack in ‘Everyday I Loved You’. This further suggests that the two are connected, and that Olivia has altered Vivi’s mind somehow.

The last image from the music video I want to discuss is Yves, Chuu, and Go Won’s appearance in the ‘Egoist’ music video. I do not believe that their presence is during the actual timeline of events, rather, it serves as a call forward to when they become a unit. The three girls are trying to find Olivia after the events of ‘One&Only’, in order to complete their sub-unit. I do not believe that any of them know that Olivia is antagonistic towards them. They have merely come to the last place where Olivia has been in order to find her again.

On to the timeline. If you are unfamiliar with my timeline, you can read it here. One amendment has been made since the posting of this timeline. Namely, ‘One&Only’ takes place at the same time as ‘ViViD’ and ‘Kiss Later’ and should occur before the events of ‘Girl Front’.

‘Egoist’ takes place before Kim Lip’s paradox. We know this because Olivia has to be in the real world during the events of ‘Sweet Crazy Love’. Additionally, for Go Won to be the one to push Olivia from Eden, Yves has to already be gone. Therefore, we can say that ‘Egoist’ takes place after the events of ‘new’ (and ‘The Carol 2.0’, technically). Therefore, the current timeline looks like this:

Pre Timeline
Everyday I Love You
Rain 51db

Pre-Kim Lip Paradox
My Melody
New
(The Carol 2.0) [dream sequence]
Egoist
Sweet Crazy Love
Eclipse

Post-Paradox
Everyday I Need You = Singing in the Rain
Love Cherry Motion
ViViD (Acoustic Mix) = Around You
Sonatine
Around You (Special Version)
I’ll Be There = My Sunday
The Carol
Heart Attack
Love&Live = You and Me Together

Escape From Eden
Kiss Later = ViViD = One&Only
Girl Front = Loonatic
Let Me In

The current locations of the girl are as followed:

Heejin
Eden

Hyunjin
OEC

Haseul
The Real World

Yeojin
Eden

Vivi
Hell

Kim Lip
OEC

Jinsoul
OEC

Choerry
OEC

Yves
The Real World/OEC

Chuu
The Real World

Go Won
The Real World

Olivia Hye
The Real World

Yves can either be in the Real World or OEC, depending on when her appearance in ‘Egoist’ takes place in comparison to ‘Girl Front’. It is possible that there is really very little difference in time between the two.

If we decide that Yves is in the Real World with Chuu and Go Won, then there are currently 5 girls in the Real World: Yves, Chuu, Go Won, Olivia, and Haseul. Four girls are in OEC: Kim Lip, Jinsoul, Choerry, and Hyunjin.

There are currently 3 girls in need of saving. Heejin and Yeojin are in Eden (though it’s possible that it’s Olivia rescuing Heejin). Vivi is in Hell.



That concludes my theory on Olivia Hye! I hope you enjoyed it! Please feel free to ask any questions that you have, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

I will be analyzing the third unit’s video when it comes out in May. Hopefully I am able to give you a timely review for that. I’ll be in Norway for most of May, so we’ll see what I can do.


Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it