Skip to main content

Nine's Top 50 Songs of 2017 (Part 4)

I don't have any pre-amble for you all, so we'll just get right down to it.

Once more, if a song was present in my half year list, the original review will be linked beneath the video.

20. Heart Attack - Chuu (LOONA)

This song is an absolute joy. The main criticism I heard about it was that it was too generic, but it's awesome in that regard. Unlike every other LOONA song in existence, there's not too much going on. However, that doesn't mean the instrumental isn't fantastic, and Chuu is the strongest vocalist in the group thus far. I also love that the chorus has a different feeling from the verses; it's far more upbeat and has carol elements that fit the Christmas theme. I also greatly appreciate how some of the lines in the chorus sound more like talking then singing, it gives a nice contrast. It was also really kind of BBC to lets us finish off the year with a good old fashioned lesbian video, which is 100% the type of content I signed up for.


19. Lonely - Sistar


Read my original review of this song here.


18. You In Me - K.A.R.D


This is the concept that this group should go for always. It's dark, sexy, and the boys and girls actually touch each other in the video. But, mainly, it shows a departure from everything the group has done so far. It's still tropical house, but a much nicer version that what was shown in either 'Rumour' or 'Hola Hola'. This song, in particular, lacks a lengthy instrumental break down, instead opting for vocals. It's a nice variation from the norm. I also really appreciate that Jiwoo's huskier voice gets to shine more on this type of track. J.Seph is still hot.

17. Red Flavour - Red Velvet

This was the k-pop song of the summer and you can kindly fight me about it. It's controlled panic in a way that only Red Velvet can pull off; you can tell where the song is going to go, but there's unexpected moments in the mixing. Wendy and Yeri in particular stand out for me: Wendy with her vocals and Yeri for her cute rapping. I also love the slow down at the end instead of ending it at a frantic pace. However, I do find Joy's voice particularly grating due to how high pitched they made her sing, and I really dislike the "chorus as the intro" thing going on here.

16. Babe - Hyuna

This song is proof that marimbas should be used more often. I'm serious. This song would never have made it so high on this list if not for the excellent use of marimbas on the track. The chorus is the weakest part of the song, which coincidentally does not use any marimbas. I do enjoy that Hyuna decided to go for a softer rapping style, which was unexpected and suits her very well. The lyricism is nice to, and it's an awesome way to show that many time listeners of this genre do not understand symbolism.

15. Black Suit - Super Junior

This song is proof that SM is better off letting SUJU make their own decisions, because this is one of their strongest title tracks in years. It's sleek and sexy, but still has room for SUJU to put their quirkiness and comedic skills to use. Leeteuk particularly shines for me this time, for the first time since A-Cha. It's Leeteuk's world we're just living in it. Yesung is also a standout, as this type of song works better with the raspiness of his voice. Heechul also sounds nice. Vocal Gangster Shindong is killing it as well. More of this in kpop please, especially the subdued horn section. Kpop likes bombastic horns way too much, thank you very much.

14. I'll Be Yours - Girl's Day


Read my original review of this song here.

13. Lip and Hip - Hyuna

This could not be more different from 'Babe', and I love it so much. Hyuna is her strongest when she's  in your face with her sexuality, which is what the song is. This entire song is a confidence boost, which is nice. I don't understand the bridge, to be frank, as it doesn't work with the rest of the song musically. It's a basic song, but I appreciate the bubble pop effects, and Hyuna singing for once (assuming it's not doubled over by a better vocalist). This is Hyuna at her finest.

12. April Story - April


Read my original review of this song here.

11. As If It's Your Last - BlackPink


Read my original review of this song here.

I am shocked and disappointed in myself that 2 songs pushed April Story out of my top 10, since I felt so strongly about it, but here we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it