Skip to main content

Nine's Top 50 Songs of 2017 (Part 3)

Yeah so I didn't post this yesterday. It was New Year's Eve and I was a little busy taking shots of screech so fucking sue me I can get drunk on New Year's if I want to.

Same rules apply. If a song was in my Top 50 of the first half of the year, then a link to my original review will be there.

30. Always - Produce 101

Read my original review of this song here.


29. Gashina - Sunmi


This is literally the first time I have ever cared for anything related to the Wonder Girls (minus Hyuna), and I'm so glad this is what brought me in, relatively speaking. I actually didn't listen to this song when it first came out, but everyone and their grandmothers was covering the goddamn dance so I had to see what the fuss was all about. I love how drone-like the chorus is, and how her mid soprano voice glides over the running bass in the verses. I love listening to lower toned female voices, being one myself, and Sunmi's voice is a fantastic example as to why. The entire song is cohesive and fluid, and it an enjoyable listen with or without the dance.


28. Likey - Twice

Basically all of my thoughts about this song can be summed up from my review of it from a few months ago. I think it's 100% the shining gem of Twice's releases this year, and renewed my hope in the group after the regrettable 'Signal'. It's catchy, the verses are nice sounding, and Dahyun's trap breakdown remains one of my favourite musical moments from the year. It would be higher except Momo's part ruins the song.

Also, kudos to Twice, Once, and JYP Entertainment to listening to my main complaint about the song and blessing us with main vocal Jungyeon in an officially performed part-switch version of the song.



27. Power - EXO

The cringey intro for the video is the perfect hype for the best EXO title track in a while. Yeah, everyone but me was slightly underwhelmed by this track, but it's honestly so good. EXO is at their best when their having fun; I don't want any of that angsty, drug filled bullshit. Give me more of this. I love that the pre-chorus is just a watered down version of the actual chorus, because an actual pre-chorus would have ruined. SM seems to have also finally figured out how to utilize the rap line this year, because it's a not a song ruining moment (which was also seen in Ko Ko Bop). I actually kind of think that Chen is far to overpowering for this song, but since this is the first time that has ever been a problem for me I'll let it slide. 


26. One More Chance - Super Junior

Everyone likes to conveniently forget that Super Junior is one of the more vocally talented kpop groups out there since it's not usually their focus. This song is further proof of that, since Kyuhyun and Ryeowook (who are universally respected as the two best male vocalists in kpop don't @ me) are currently in the army and aren't in the song. Donghae is awesome at writing songs that his member's are good at singing. Like for fuck's sgke, even Shindong sounds amazing singing this song, proving that SUJU can just drop Kangin for good and replace him in my heart as a vocal tone genius, since Kangin is forever cancelled.

25. Can Be Better - Highlight

I'm still amazed that Highlight is doing such a good job at capturing my heart with these upbeat songs, since so much of what I loved about BEAST was their ability to do angsty songs. This is one of those songs where I don't have a specific reason for liking it; I just really, really do. Two things I really appreciate are 1) Yeseob singing in a lower tone and 2) the fucking kick ass percussion line that shit is rocking.


24. Where You At - Nu'est W

I would like to thank not only Produce 101 but God for me actually discovering Nu'est. Like I knew who they were before P101, but it's only after the show that I mother fucking stan. Like Seventeen with 'Don't Wanna Cry', Nu'est W shows how to perform a tropical house song (with K.A.R.D being the only superior example). Baekho's voice is utilized perfectly; if he sang any more he would overpower the more laid back tones in the verses. JR's rap is alright, like I don't think he's as amazing as he was hyped up to be on the show, but it doesn't ruin anything. Aron's syncopated lines before the calm of the pre-chorus is the best part of the song.


23. Ice Chu - Gugudan 5959 (OGUOGU)

The first thing you should notice in this song is how amazing the electronic bass line is; it really gives it a nice groove and makes it super funky. I love how non-vocal the first part of the chorus is, as it's a nice change from the chorus heavy songs you often hear in kpop. I'm not really a huge fan of how Mina vocalized the rap parts, but it's not that huge of an issue. I do wish that the bass line was a little louder in comparison to how bombastic the electronic horns are. Also this song has a bongo line, which is fucking rad.


22. Summer Storm - Jessica Jung

So I could have sworn that I already reviewed a Jessica song on this blog, and in fact I thought thiswas released in the beginning of the summer. I'm a fail I'm sorry. This is probably one of the most basic of the songs on this lost, but it's such a pleasant listen. I love that Jessica focuses on singing more softly in the chorus, which is far more complimentary to her vocal tone then belting out a high note. The rhythm of the lyrics is very pleasing to listen to, but mostly the mixing in this song is what places this song so high for me. I would have liked a better drum sample though, or maybe some semblance of a piano in the instrumental.


21. Girl Front - Odd Eye Circle (LOONA)

LOONA has been such a wonderful musical surprise for me since I literally didn't care about them a month ago. I love the harmony in the chorus; the layering of their voices is done really well, and turned what could have been a high pitched mess into something pleasing. The little rap lines in the verses are interesting little sound bites. There are some things I don't get. First of all, why the dark 10 second breakdowns. Also, why the slow down in the second verse? Musically it doesn't do anything for me. I don't know how Blackberry Creative is getting all these awesome songs, but I'm not really complaining.

Part 4 will 100% come tomorrow. I'm not getting drunk off bootleg east coast liquor tomorrow tomorrow so there's nothing in my way.

LMAO I wasn't even that drunk last night though, but I got home at 3 am lmao literally fuck New Year's.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it