Skip to main content

Nine's Top 50 Songs of 2017 (Part 1)

Hello everyone! I'm back with my top 50 songs of the year! I meant to have had this posted a few days ago, but I had some issues with my new laptop so it didn't work out quite how I planned. Nevertheless, let's get going.

Songs that were present from my top 50 list of the first half of the year will contain a link to the original post they were mentioned.

50. Ko Ko Bop - EXO


I absolutely adore this laid back song from EXO. I was actually in England when this song came out, and I immediately loved it and was humming it constantly and annoying my sister with it. Chen and Bakehyun particularly shine in this song (but when do they not), and I don't mind Sehun's rap in this; it works and I appreciate it for that. But all I can think about listening to this song is how Lay would have killed this concept. SM, either confirm he's out or bring him back in don't leave us like this.

49. Energetic - Wanna One

So we all know at this point that I'm trash for Produce 101 and everything from it, so it was no surprise to me when I greatly enjoyed Wanna One's debut. It's fun and summery and basically everything I wanted from them. It was smart of YMC to place Minhyun and Seongwoo front and centre with Jaehwan and Sungwoon for vocals. I will say, however, that I'm not a fan of Daniel rapping; I just think he sounds better as a vocalist. Also give Jisung more lines; he didn't hard carry P101 for this disrespect.

48. Fantasy - JBJ

So a group even better than Wanna One is JBJ. Fuck, I live for these boys. This song is so completely different from Wanna One's that it creates a nice contrast. I think it could have stood to be a little faster, and thy boys' vocals were under-utilized, but it's got some really nice elements. The droning bass in the verses is wonderful, and I especially love the syncopations in Taehyun's lines.

47. Loonatic - Odd Eye Circle (LOONA)
Yes, this song is all in English but I don't care it's going in anyways. So I started listening to Loona literally a week ago and this song has stolen my heart. This song is really distinct because the vocals are so much softer then the instrumental, which is odd in pop music in general, not just K-Pop. But the beat is awesome, and the melody is really interesting though. This song nows how to use silence and it's brilliant. 

46. I Don't Like Your Girlfriend - Weki Meki


Everyone hated this song but I disagree: this song fucking rocks. I love the simplicity of the chorus, the breakdown in the second verse, and Yoojung's rap breaks actually work. I also appreciate that they don't go heavy on the vocals, and the focus is more on them having fun. It's simple, good fun and I can't hate it. 

45. Open It - Knock (Produce 101)


Please read this for my take on this song. 

44. Hola Hola - K.A.R.D
This song is just the usual K.A.R.D formula with a summer twist, so if you were looking for something different, this is not the song for you. Like I'm pretty sure that this is just "Oh Na Na" with a summer vibe, and that song is even referenced ffs. Nonetheless, this song is just as #quality as everything else they have released so I can't even be mad at it. Also, J.Seph is hot AF so there's that. 

43. Twilight - Wanna One

This is Wanna One at their peak. This is literally better than anything else that they've released thus far, and I would have preferred this as a title track over "Beautiful". The beat is so nice, their voices sound wonderful, and it's just so wonderfully done that I'm actively angry that this song wasn't promoted. I'm sort of reminded of that one song "Rainbow", even though I can't remember who sang that song but Key was in the video. Anyways, this song is wonderful and you should all love it as much as I do. 

42. Jelly - HOTSHOT

This song makes me upset that up until Produce 101 I only knew of HOTSHOT as the group that had a former SM trainee in it that was supposed to be in EXO but ended up in HOTSHOT. I'm even angrier at this fact because now Timoteo is just super average on The Unit, like what kind of disrespect is that. Anyways, this song is hard and mellow at the same time. Taehyun's voice is absolutely wonderful and smooth and thrives on this type of track. I love the robotic voice saying 'jelly' because it's just so different. 

41. Go Go - BTS


This song is everything that I love about BTS. It's ridiculous and meme-y, with slick rap lines. Screw 'DNA', this should have been their comeback song. It may not have gotten the same traction in the West, but it would have made me happy and I'm more important than the Western entertainment industry. I love how the song knows what it is and the instrumental is kept appropriately simple. Also there's a flute the entire time in the background playing what little of a melody there is and as a former competitive flute player I approve of any and all pop songs that make use of the most superior woodwind. 

Well that's it for Part 1. I will see you all again tomorrow for Part 2. Send all your hate mail to the fucking sun I don't want it. 

Comments

  1. Stainless Steel Rods - Titanium Rocks - Ti-Metal Arts
    Stainless Steel titanium keychain Rods. One of our premium-grade stainless steel rods. Manufactured gaggia titanium by Tipe Metal titanium bike frame Arts, TITanium Rocks is a perfect choice for titanium charge those who titanium nipple jewelry like to try

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it