Skip to main content

Why YouTube Views are Bullshit

It’s so hard to have a conversation with k-pop fans without the topic of YouTube views coming up. There are so many people in the varying subsets of this fandom who believe that YouTube views are the most important indicator of popularity. In some ways, yes, YouTube views can show that a song or group is popular. On the other, bigger hand, it’s complete and utter bullshit.

Yes, that’s right; the hours you have spent refreshing YouTube to make sure your bias is getting the most views in 24 hours means relatively nothing.

For the sake of transparency, when I’m talking about general popularity and success I’m not talking about worldwide popularity. I’m talking about domestic popularity in South Korea and international fans. International k-pop fans, of course, not being representative of the music tastes and sensibilities of their respective countries. If any k-pop fans are actually using the YouTube views of their favourite group to boast about true international popularity they’re fucking stupid.

This is Ellin. She has nothing to do with this editorial but look at her anyways.

In the 21st century, YouTube is the main platform for streaming music videos. In the past, television was used to distribute music videos, and, honestly, music videos before the age of internet (and especially before the age of easily streamable online video) aren’t anything important; it was just a tool to showcase the lead single for an upcoming album. How many times a particular music video was watched wasn’t really all that important; it was album sales that was important.

This is still true in k-pop. Does any k-pop fan actually expect their faves to get anything from their 24+ million views? Because they don’t. Actually buying the album and merchandise and attending concerts are still the best way to support your favourite idol financially. This is true of any music industry worldwide.

An argument, however, can be made about views translating to popularity. This is a slippery slope to discuss, truth be told, because popularity is very hard to accurate translate. For instance, Monsta X is one of the more popular new boy groups internationally, but less so in Korea itself. But due to their international popularity, they have awesome YouTube views. But are they actually getting any money because of that? No.

This song has over 18 million views. That used to be pretty good for k-pop standards.

“But Nine”, you say, “the more views something has the more popular it is”. Well, not necessarily. A great recent example is Nu’est; they have the most watched debut music video of all male k-pop artists. Did anyone besides their fans care about them up until a few months ago? No. Absolutely not. If they were anything like me, they only cared about Ren and his beautiful, beautiful face. While Nu’est generally fared a lot better than many other 2012 debuts, it’s EXO, VIXX, and B.A.P who are seen as the more successful groups.

67 million views is nothing to sneeze at. Too bad no one cared about this song until 2 months ago.

This is not to say that YouTube views mean nothing when it comes to popularity. Big Bang gets high views on all of their MVs not just because of a strong fandom, but because of their public recognition. But because both of these factors are in play, their YouTube views are generally higher; the views are more representative of their success as a group.

This song has over 300 million views. Big Bang is probably the most successful k-pop group of all time though

But why the sudden obsession with YouTube views? Well, there are many factors that come into play.

First of all, the k-pop fandom is built on infighting. By that I mean the various fans of different groups fighting each other. A current famous example is EXO-Ls (fans of EXO) versus A.R.M.Y (fans of BTS). While it’s hilarious for those of us who are multi-fandom, the reality of the situation is that those involved in the fighting take it very seriously. As there is a constant need to best other groups, or prove that their favourite group is the best group, there comes with it a need to find various ways to complete this goal that can show hard numbers. One of the simplest ways to do this is to count YouTube views. If it wasn’t so simple to do fans probably wouldn’t be so obsessed with it.

Because of this, fans are constantly inflating views. They want to be the fastest to reach a million views, 50 million views, 100 million views. They want to use it as a bragging right.

Another reason why views are so stupidly important in this godforsaken fandom is that companies endorse this shit. If fans are able to get the music video views to a certain number they’ll get a reward. Usually the reward is something like a dance practice video, sometimes it’s a video of EXO’s Xiumin dancing in a penguin suit as an adorable baby. It’s a nice little incentive to get MV views up due to the third reason why views are getting inflated.

Okay, but look at that random number Wannables had to get the song to though.

The third reason is that music video views are being inflated is because it’s a damn qualification for points on some music programs. That’s right. In order to have a better chance of winning what basically amounts to a meaningless trophy for most bigger groups you need to have higher YouTube views. This is not standard across all programs, but is a part of the chart system for both M Countdown and Show! Music Core. Ergo, companies want their videos have higher views so that the group has a better chance of winning more trophies.

Basically this all boils down to bragging rights.

But why is it bullshit? Because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. Let me give you an example.

f(x) is a very well-known and respected group in the k-pop industry. Formed by SM Entertainment in 2009 they are one of the most recognizable girl groups in the industry. One of their major hits is a song called Electric Shock. If you haven’t heard it yet, I’m sorry but you’re still too new to this fandom. At any rate, in 2016 MeU’s (the fans of the group) were trying to get the music video to 100 million views, to make f(x) the third girl group to reach that milestone. Even just a year ago it was a huge, huge deal to make it to that many views. However, they were in crunch time because rookie girl group Twice’s debut song Like Ooh-Aah and their follow up release Cheer Up were gaining speed.



“But Nine,” you say, “Isn’t it perfectly natural for popular songs to get many views?” I mean, yes, but not in this way. The problem was that Onces (fans of Twice) weren’t letting the songs gain views naturally; they were inflating the views as quickly as they possibly could.

Now, there’s nothing inherently wrong with inflating views because it’s none of my damn business what fans decide to do with their time. And f(x) didn’t necessarily deserve their spot as the third girl group to reach that milestone (which they eventually were) more so than Twice. It’s when fans artificially inflate views and then use the numbers as proof as their groups superiority over others that the milestone loses its meaning.

Probably the biggest offender of this view is A.R.M.Y. Although BTS has yet to have a true hit song with the public (though they’ve gotten close), their YouTube views are through the roof. And I’m not talking basic growth in views between months, I’m talking about leaps in views from month to month in the millions.

This is becoming a growing pattern with fans of the new generation of k-pop groups (though it’s seeping over to most of the big groups). All they do is stream the music video over and over and create new milestones for their group. But due to this these milestones are essentially meaningless. Is it a true milestone if you’re just going to make sure that they surpass it again during their next release?

Let’s take a look at the top 10 most viewed videos as of September 1,  2017.


10. Dope (2015) – BTS – 205 248 775 (up 12 819 592)
9. Cheer Up (2016) – Twice – 207 778 201 (up 10 503 268)
8. Boombayah (2016) – BlackPink– 211 040 349 (up 18 850 034)
7. TT (2016) – Twice– 254 710 800 (up 15 368 923)
6. Bang Bang Bang (2015) – Big Bang – 258 779 261 (up 7 728 179)
5. Daddy (2015) – Psy ft. CL – 298 510 775 (up 8 495 919)
4. Fantastic Baby (2012) – Big Bang – 313 622 359 (up 5 829 137)
3. Oppa is Just My Style (2012) – Psy & Hyuna – 701 082 753 (up 3 895 786)
2. Gentleman (2013) – Psy – 1 108 553 614 (up 9 619 227)
1. Gangnam Style (2012) – Psy – 2 943 692 206 (up 27 096 092)

Look at the increases in views since August 1, 2017. I’ll give a pass to Gangnam Style because, you know, it was literally one of the songs of 2012 worldwide. But look at the increases for some of the other groups and tell me that they still mean something. Also, by this chart, there are now over 45 songs with over 100 million views. Last year at this time? 17.



What about September 2015?



8. There were 8 songs with 100 million views only 2 years ago.

And you’re still going to tell me that all these views are an accurate measure of relative popularity?

Anyways, the point of this is that YouTube views were always a shitty measure of popularity. There are plenty of k-pop songs that are incredibly popular but don’t even crack the top 100 most viewed. It’s just now it’s an even shittier measure because fans insist on inflating views.

Sure, some of it is fueled by the entertainment companies themselves, but in the end it’s all about bragging rights.


And bragging rights don’t mean shit.  


Anyways, get Doo Doom Chit to 3 million views. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it