Skip to main content

Nine's Top K-Pop Songs of 2017 (January - June): 30-21

Here's part 3 of this series. If you didn't already know what kind of k-pop songs I liked before this list, you'll understand now. I'm serious, I have a type.

Please Enjoy!

30. I Wish - Cosmic Girls (WJSN)
If you know me from Twitter, you might remember that my number 1 song of 2016 was WJSN's 'Secret'. Unfortunately, neither of their releases live up to that glory, but 'I Wish' is a pretty damn good song. The key is comfortably high pitched, the chorus is effective, and Yeonjung's voice is flawless. Exy's rap feels a little out of place, but that happens with k-pop rap breaks. My biggest flaw is that there's really no rise to the song; the ad-libs at the end are very artificial. At the end of the day, this is a song that makes me smile and that's why I listen to k-pop.

29. I Know You Know - Boys Under The Moonlight (Produce 101)
Another song that just makes you smile. This entire song just screams SM to me, which is understandable because this is a rejected EXO track. The raps are well placed in this song, and I'm a huge fan of male falsetto so this song is perfect for me. Seunghyuk really showcases himself as main vocal material here, which makes me incredibly happy and I hope his company does something with him. Donghyun's voice is also very well suited to this song. All in all this is a cohesive song, and it's impossible to be sad when Moonbok is serenading you anyways.

28. Knock Knock (Twice)
This is a diamond wedged between the two turds that are 'TT' and 'Signal' in Twice's discography. It's so unlike everything else that Twice has released thus far, yet it still feels very authentically on-brand for them as well. The girls all have parts that suit their voices, and it's not a very hard song to sing so Twice are able to execute it with ease. It's also incredibly catchy, which is always a plus. I was literally singing this to myself for weeks after it came out.

27. Black Widow - Pristin
Fuck I love this concept. This was the song that many fans were hoping would be Pristin's debut track, and I'll admit that it's a stronger effort than 'Wee Woo', but it's not the strongest track on the mini, but we'll get to that tomorrow. I love the strong beat in this, and how silky their voices sound over the track. Rena's rap is also a highlight in this song, and showcases her potential and talent more than on 'Wee Woo', where she was kind of pushed to the side. It's a good low-key hype song, what with Kyla yelling at you to 'get your hands up'.

26. Make Me Love You - Taeyeon
The strongest of Taeyeon's three title tracks so far this year. Like 'Fine', it's a very simple song that's sole purpose is to showcase Taeyeon's vocals which are, naturally, perfect. This is one of those songs where it's strength is in it's simplicity; there's not much going on in the instrumental besides an effective drum sample until the second chorus where it all sort of hits you with it's glory. I also love the rhythm of the lyrics in the bridge. That's a random thing to point out but gosh darn if it isn't nice.

25. Hands on Me - Produce 101
This is the finale song that I thought I would love the most, but it's not and that's for another day, but this is still a really good song. Like if a nugu released this we'd all be like "why are we sleeping on XXXXgroup listen to the bop they released".  Jaehwan's vocals are perfect, and Daniel proves in this song that he really should stick to being a singer and not a rapper. It's much more natural sounding for him. Completely dropping the melody when the rap happens in the second verse is a questionable choice, but it's nice anyways. Also the drum sample in this song is KICK ASS and honestly I think that sample get's stuck in my head more than then actual song. The dance break music choice is also a choice that was made, but the whistling in it is nice. The 'shake it don't break it' part is unnecessary.

24. Rumor - K.A.R.D
Writing this song with the American spelling is killing me; the word 'rumour' looks obnoxiously incomplete without the extra 'u' in it. Anyways, K.A.R.D are one of the best parts of 2017 so far, and this song is no exception. It's so silky and I've used that word too much in this post, but it's true. Their vocals are silky and smooth, and it's a nice contrast to the more staccato-esque instrumental. K.A.R.D are another group that have mastered the rap section of songs. This is just nice all around.

23. Kiss on the Lips - Melody Day
Melody Day weren't a group on my radar before, but they are now. This is one of the best choruses in a k-pop song so far this year, I'm not kidding. The only thing I really dislike about this song is the post chorus; I would have preferred it if they skipped the melodic break and went straight to the whispered 'kiss on the lips'. The vocals suit the instrumental really well; being smooth when the instrumental is rough, and rough when it's smooth. Also these girls have voices to die for; even the rapper's rap-talk sounds nice.

22. Plz Don't Be Sad - Highlight
You'll notice that I tend to prefer very upbeat, happy songs. Highlight's debut, so to speak, is not an exception to this. There's not really necessarily anything specific about this song that I like, I just do. Yeoseob's voice is especially nice on this track. Now this song doesn't add up to my favourite B2ST track, 'Good Luck', but it showcases that the group is going in a new direction, and it feels right. Like they've emerged from a melancholy stage in their life into something beautiful and new.

21. Happy - Cosmic Girls (WJSN)
Okay, I'll admit it, this is a worse song than 'I Wish'. It's more cute talk than singing (even if Yeonjung is still KILLING it), and it's annoyingly high pitched. But it does it's job. It still manages to be all this and still make me happy. This is the one WJSN song where I feel like Exy's rap is a pro and not a con, and it's catchy as hell. This was the effect that I think Twice's 'Signal' was going for, but it's not as good.

And so concludes part 3. Stay tuned for part 4 tomorrow :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it