Skip to main content

Nine's Top 50 K-Pop Songs of 2017 (January - June): 20-11

And now it's time for the fourth and penultimate instalment in this series that no one wanted but I made anyways. Looking at these songs, I can see that these are the songs that I listen to an obscene amount. I mean, this is a top songs list so I should hope I listen to these songs, but y'know.

Okay, let's go!

20. Hwi Hwi - Laboum
I'm going to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Laboum's releases. Before this song came out, I really only liked 'What About You' and 'Shooting Love', so their releases are really hit or miss for me. But this song is genuinely enjoyable. I'm a sucker for whistle sounds in instrumentals, and the "I miss this kiss" part is super catchy and fun to listen to. The call and response sections are super effective as well. There's also not a gratuitous rap section, so 'Hwi Hwi' was designed to win.

19. Super Hot - Produce 101
This is so freaking funky; you can't help but groove when listening to it. This song works incredibly well because all of their voices match the song, which I can't really say of 'Hands on Me'. Youngmin's rap and Sungwoon's vocals are standouts here. This song also gives me hope for Wanna One's future releases, because Guanlin does very well here as well. I love how this song goes exactly how you think it's going to go, which is rare for k-pop these days.

18. Mayday - April
Upon first listen the instrumental for this is just super weird. Like there's a moaning child in the background the entire time which is a little unsettling. After a career of cute singing, April found their happy medium with this song and January's 'April Story', and it works really well for this track. The quasi-raps also work in this song, where in other tracks it would cause the song to flounder. This is just peppy and upbeat and just plain weird, which makes it interesting.

17. Open Up - Knock (Produce 101)
This song is a little disjointed, but effective nonetheless. Like the rap parts almost feel like they shouldn't be there, yet it still works? I've stopped trying to understand k-pop producers and their disjointed ways. The chorus is probably the weakest part of the song, though Dongho and Daniel sing it really well. Probably the main reason I like this song is because I can't get the image of Daniel stroking his inner thigh out of my mind, so that's probably just as well. We won't talk about the studio version though, which was ruined by unnecessary autotune.

16. Downpour - IOI
The tears, they won't stop flowing. There isn't anything special about this ballad besides the fact that it was IOI's last song, but it's very effective for relaying feelings. Yeonjung and Sejeong effortlessly sing over a beautiful instrumental, and even Sohye and Chaeyeon's whisper singing fits in. The best part of the song is Chaeyeon saying "urin ije annyeong" before the final chorus; I literally cried the first 3 months after this song was released because of that line. We'll go over how Hyunbin ruined that line in an upcoming Produce 101 Season 2 review though. 'Downpour' is just an effective, emotional ballad with a killer piano instrumental.

15. Spring Day
Another slow song that's absolutely impactful. While I'm generally a fan of all things BTS, their album didn't do it so much for me this year except for this title track. Their other music video release song, 'Not Today', managed to make an impressive 61st out of 66 on my list. I'm always impressed by how easily Rap Monster and Suga (and on any other BTS track, J-Hope) insert rap into their slower songs; it's always tasteful and easy to listen to. V's voice especially shines on this track and I probably wouldn't have liked it so much if he wasn't singing. The post chorus is a little weak, but overall it's not a huge deal. There's not much more to say than that. This is just a pleasant song.

14. Running - Pristin
Now this is the best song on Pristin's debut mini. It's got a simple yet interesting instrumental and a killer chorus. Pristin's light voices hover over the instrumentals yet they're surprisingly impactful. I also love the syncopations in the vocals. Also this song is amazing because every time Kyla says "where's my pixie" I think she's saying "where's my pussy" and no matter how often I listen to this song I hear it and I hate myself every time.

13. Archangels of the Sephiroth - Stellar
This was not the song I was expecting Stellar to comeback with, but I'm glad this is what they went with. I love the chanting elements in the vocals; it's incredibly effective. There's also a low drone in the instrumentals that makes the listener feel uneasy, but mixed with the middle eastern inspired melody it really sets the mood. This is one of those songs, like Gain's 'Paradise Lost', that sounds more like an art piece than a piece of pop music. Also I need Minhee singing "love me 'til the end' playing at my funeral please.

12. Never - Nation's Sons (Produce 101)
If you're keeping track you know exactly what Produce 101 song hasn't been mentioned yet, so you already hate my top 10. Anyways, 'Never' is a very smooth, easy listen track. Minhyun's voice absolutely shines on this track, being incredibly light over a stronger instrumental in the chorus. Jaehwan's voice needs no words, of course. I'm a little divided on the rap, however. Woojin's growly, deep rap is perfect, but I might have switched Guanlin and Jonghyun. I find Guanlin's rap ineffective where it is; he just doesn't suit it and isn't a strong enough rapper yet for it.

11. A Girl Like Me - Gugudan
Gugudan raised the bar high for girl group releases this year. This song doesn't waste a single second; it's not even 3 minutes long. Jellyfish finally figured out how to utilize Nayoung's huskier vocals, and Mina and Sally's rap part actually fits the flow of the song. The instrumental is also incredibly super interesting, with more robotic, artificial sounds gracing it. This song would have actually sounded inauthentic with real instrumentals, so I'm glad they went this route.

Please join me again tomorrow for the final part of this series. My top 10 is going to include some songs that everyone is going to have in their top 10 thus far, and some that you may be surprised by.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it