Skip to main content

Nine's Top 50 K-Pop Songs (January - June): 50-41

So because I'm self-absorbed I made a list of my top 50 k-pop songs assuming that you people will enjoy something like that. So here's the first part of this list.

50. Bing Bing - AOA
This was the lesser of the two AOA title tracks this year. It's not an amazing song, per se, but there's something fun about it. I think half of it is how amazing ChoA's voice sounds in the chorus, and listening to this song makes me feel really sad that we won't get that anymore. Also, this is the return of Jimin's #iconic "HEY!", which makes this song an instant classic.

49. Nayana - Produce 101
If it wasn't already stupidly obvious, I love Produce 101. Therefore, I have listened to this song a stupid amount of times. It's a much better song than other similar ones out there, and is much better than last year's "Pick Me".

48. Honey Bee - Luna, Hani, and Solar
This is very much in line with the kind of music that's not k-pop that I listen to. I'm a sucker for brassy vocals, and two of them deliver on that (I'm sorry Hani, your voice has never quite done it for me). As well, Luna's vocals are a standout feature on this track. Those and a catchy chorus make this song a winner. 

47. Signal - Twice

Despite all of my moaning and groaning on my review of the song, this wasn't the worst song so far this year. Yes, it's still grating and weird and it doesn't feel like a full song to me, but it's better than others. It's really only placed so high on the list (which has 66 songs on it) because I listened to it a few times and it got stuck in my head. I guess it's successful for being an ear worm, I guess?

46. Wannabe - Hyoyeon

Despite what people will say, this is a much stronger track than "Mystery". This song isn't perfect, but it has one of the most impressive and catchy choruses so far this year. It's a shame the rest of the song isn't as good as the chorus, otherwise this song would have been much higher on the list. Also San E isn't necessary. He's so rarely necessary. 

45. Ninano - Minzy
CL wishes she has a song like this. This is just pure pop fun with an interesting, inoffensive dance segment for the chorus. Minzy's vocals shine wonderfully here. It's really nice to hear her by herself, honestly. I never felt that she stood out in 2NE1; I actually can't tell her voice apart from Bom's in some songs. 

44. Goodbye - 2NE1
However, I'm a huge sucker for ballads, which is why 2NE1's last song ranks higher than Minzy's solo debut. "Goodbye" is appropriately melancholy, and the guitar is lovely. Yeah, it's nothing special as goodbye songs go, but it does its job and makes me feel sad about losing a group I never really liked much. 

43. Oh Little Girl - Slate (Produce 101)
The second of many Produce 101 songs on this top 50 (all of them made the top 50 RIP me). This is probably the least interesting of the concept evaluation songs, but it's still a nice listen. Sewoon and Jinyoung's voices are particularly pleasant on this track. 

42. BibbidiBobbidiBoo - Berry Good
This song was actually a disappointment in comparison to Berry Good's releases last year, but it still manages to be better than a lot of songs in 2017 so far. This is another example of a song where the chorus is much stronger than the rest of the song, but there's something catchy and wonderful about the verses as well. Maybe it's because of the country music vibes since I'm from the Canadian land of cowboys? Let's go with that. 

41. I Got Love - Taeyeon

This was a song I wasn't expecting out of Taeyeon at all, and I'm not complaining. It has a strange, addicting drop at the chorus which is fascinating to listen to. Of course, her vocals need no words. They're appropriately haunting. While this song isn't as good as her other releases this year, it's musically far more interesting. 

Songs 40-31 coming at some point tomorrow :) Please look forward to it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it