Skip to main content

Song Review: Twice's "Signal" Fails to Connect


Twice generally delivers a bop of some kind or another. They're all strong hooks with upbeat tempos and even if the songs aren't necessarily fantastic, they're at least redeemable in some ways. Like "Cheer Up" made up for it's strange take on tempo by having one of the best hooks in the past few years, and "TT" made up for being "TT" by having easily the best choreos Twice has had thus far.

"Signal" has, well, none of these.



"Signal" lacks the punch that I have come to expect from a Twice song. While it follows the general pattern that hook songs tend to follow, this song just falls so exceptionally flat that I can't believe this is a full release. There's basically nothing to go on here. 

"Signal" relies a lot on the quasi-rap that a lot of idol groups use, but it's not done well. While Chaeyoung and Dahyun are the best suited to this kind of thing, I found them underused while Momo and, hilariously, Mina get most of the interesting rap parts. Neither Momo or Mina are well-suited to doing this to their voices and it's incredibly jarring, to say the least. 

Actually this part distribution makes me wonder if JYP Ent. really knows what to do with Mina. It's like they've figured out that she's not suited to be a vocal, variety, or even a dancer in the group so they've thrown her into rap. IMHO she should stick to being a sub-vocal, like she was on "Like Ooh-Aah".

Also interesting is the fact that Jungyeon is especially underused in this track. It's not like she's ever been a prominent figure in Twice musically, but this is ridiculous. The hook would have sounded a lot better if Jungyeon sang Tzuyu's part. 
Additionally, this song is very flat. Twice have relied on Jihyo's more rounded vocals to make their tracks more interesting, as well as Nayeon's stability, but they're noticeably absent. I don't know if JYP was going far a purposely softer sound, but it just doesn't work for this track. 

Honestly, I'm just thrilled that it all stayed relatively the same tempo. 

The MV also wasn't anything interesting. The members get lame superpowers - and honestly if you're going to do that at least to do it to the corny insanity SM did with EXO - and it's filmed in what I'm pretty sure is just a recreation of the classroom from Got7's "Stop Stop It". 

As well, there's not much to see of the choreography, which is generally the saving point for their comebacks, but what I do see looks uninspired. 


All in all, this is Twice's worst song to date and further proof that they're not close to having a song as good as "Like Ooh-Ahh" again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Ultimate Loona Theory (Part 1 - Music Video Analysis)

So, I’ve gone back and forth on what to do for this Loona theory. Basically, with every new installment in the lore, I have to completely rework what I thought was going on. I’ve got a pretty good idea of some things though, so I’m going to be discussing those. This discussion will have an analysis of every single video on the music video playlist on loonatheworld. If Blockberry Creative said that every single music video is connected, then every single music video has to be discussed. I will also present a proposed timeline of events. Before I start, I should mention that at this point we know that there are at least three distinct worlds in the Loonaverse: the real world, the Odd Eye Circle world (which is highly connected to the real world through a Mobius strip), and Eden. Each girl can be distinctly seen in at least two worlds, and sometimes, either implicitly or explicitly, all three. Okay then, let’s begin. Heejin - ViViD When I first starte

The Ultimate LOONA Theory: yyxy "love4eva"

So I would have had this posted sooner but I am so livid. I am so livid because up until this point everything worked so well together. All the videos fit together in a very obvious way to me. Everything LOONA acted as various puzzle pieces that combined together with no hassle. While I put a lot of effort into my theory, I haven't had to change anything around. I've never had to change my line of thinking. Until now. With LOONA's third sub-unit, yyxy, I've had to rethink many things that I thought true about the Loonaverse, and I hate it. I absolutely HATE being wrong. I have lived my life being more or less right about everything that I have chosen to do. With this theory, I could handle being completely wrong about the entire thing because there's probably going to be no actual confirmation about the correctness about this. But for a tiny thing like this one video, I absolutely hate being wrong. With that being said, let's begin. In a random turn

XX and Butterfly (The Atrociously Late LOONA Theory Post)

Do you ever promise something with absolutely 0 hope of any follow through?  Well, that's been me with ever updating my poor LOONA theory. Its been 10 months since "Butterfly" was released, and I never did a follow up theory on it. Which has been awful for the one person who occasionally contacts me on my twitter asking for me to update. Well, here it is my friend. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Before I begin, I want to give you a little bit of an update of my life as to why this post hasn't happened. I've had all my notes since release, so there's very little room for an excuse, but I'm going to give you an excuse nonetheless. 2019 has been a year of immense change for me in my personal life. I've gone harder on the dating game since I actually have some semblance of order in my life now. I moved out of my parents house. Recently, I've started (or will start) a new job in the legal world. And my nails have never been longer so it